Thursday, April 10, 2008

Brave New World

Here are my thoughts regarding Brave New World. I did not find many comparisons to Huxley and More. One thing I did find was the fact that everyone in the society is content with their lives. Exept for a few people in Brave New World, both societies are designed to keep everyone content and happy. Both societies do not have crime or fight in any wars. Everyone gets along with everyone else. These are the comparisons I found in Brave New World that seemed similar to Thomos More's vision of Utopia. Oviously there are many differences, but there were some similarities between the two societies.
The best thing about the World State in Brave New World is the fact that there is nothing bad in the society. What I mean by this is the fact that there is no crime because everyone is happy with what they have. There are no wars to fight because the World State controlls everything. Finally, the genetic upbringing of humans is grossly disturbing and incredibly wrong in my eyes, the one good that I can find in it is that it has eradicated most of the harmful diseases so everyone lives healthy long lives.
I have many problems with Brave New World, but the assignment is to pick the worst aspect of the society. I would choose the Conditioning facility. I seems to me that all they do is clone different classes of humans in mass quantities just to have some controll over the population. The fact that nobody gets pregnant to me defeats the purpose of humans. I was always taught that humans were put on Earth to conrol everything and multiply. The fact that the World State controlls controls the population is wrong. The whole purpose of sex is to make babies. I know that todays society prevents pregnacy quite heavlily, but I believe that humans should be in control of children, not the government.

4 comments:

sharlyn said...

I agree with you that it is nice for everyone to not have to go through diseases, wars, and crimes. The society seems a lot more sanitary and safer than even our world today. I also agree with your thoughts on the World State and how it controls everything. It is also fairly distrubing how sex is nothing to them and having children is a horrible thing.

judithg said...

I agree that one of the few good things BNW has is no crime. Everyone is accepted and content so the do not feel any need to steal or commit a violent crime. I also found the genetic upbringing of children to be unethical, but I do not find any benefit to it. A long, healthy life does not mean anything if the person is not happy.

DanielleK said...

I agree with your comparison you found between BNW and Utopia but I also thought they shared the fact that no one really had control over themselves. I also Agree that it was a good thing that there was no crime or wars. On the other had this seems to be because everyone around the world is doing the same conditioning. I also agree that it is bad how the World State controls everything. I also think that it is wierd how sex is so open and normal to them even as young children.

scottmitchell said...

Although I agree with you that I believe both societies would be awful, I agree for different reasons. You ultimately say that the purpose of humanity is to have sex, become pregnant, and control the earth. Awesome, now all the philosophers who have studied the meaning of life for the past few centuries know that they should just have sex all the time. Also, you mention that in both Utopia and BNW, everyone is happy. This is obviously not the case for Bernard or the entirety of the population.