Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Brave New World Similarities Today

It was difficult to come up with good similarities between Brave New World and modern America let alone three but here is what I came up with. The first comparison between the two societies is the obvious fact that Brave New World (hereby known as BNW) keeps the same city and country names. London is still London and America is still America. The second comparison I found between the two was that the people were always entertaining themselves. It is true that BNW did this to stay happy and to not be bored. This is not so different from modern America. People generally don't want to be doing nothing. We go to movies, play golf, go on vactions just like the people in BNW. However, it is not written if BNW people do anything else for fun, but we both try to entertain ourselves to avoid bordom. The last comparison I could thing of was the fact that there is some order in both societies however different they may be. We have local police that keep order in the cities as well as a central government to keep order in the country. BNW has a much larger populus to take care off and the World State is only controlled by one guy, the fact that John and Bernard were taken to Mond by the police reminded me that there is order to this society as well as modern America.

5 comments:

judithg said...

cool... I found order to be your strongest point and think that order is a must have for all civilizations.

DanielleK said...

I agree that these people do this stuff for entertainment but I wonder if they actually enjoy themselves or if they just THINK they do.

KatieL said...

yeah I thought it was wierd that the only things they did was play golf and go to movies. Have diversity.

sharlyn said...

You had some very good points and I agree that the main focus of keeping order in the society is very similar to the way the U.S. is run today.

Frank said...

I think your similarities of entertainment and order apply to pretty much every society. People will always try to entertain themselves in some way, and all socieities have some sort of order, whether it is a government or simply social customs.